“Do not be afraid”
65 times in the bible. 65 times!
What frightens us most are things we cannot be sure of. Planes fly but they are just lumps of metal. The fear before the first flight vanishes when there is proof it flies. It is as if we are saying “fear of the unknown is real fear. Who is afraid of what he knows can’t hurt him? But if we worry we worry endlessly. Who worries when he has seen the reason disappear” Well instead Paul turns it round and says: “But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.” – It’s the opposite. So here’s some advice I should heed:
1. Accept uncertainty – there are things we won’t have an answer to this side of heaven
2. Trap bad thoughts – Satan would love to plague us with lies, take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ. Think on pure and noble things only!
3. Give yourself 30 minutes worry period a day, but do it when you know God is listening in.
4. Relax and meditate on the blessings and promises of God. Pray without any real break, instead let the breaks be silent prayers.
5. Know we are in a battle for the peace of our souls. Satan has already lost, he just wants us to believe he hasn’t.
6. Stay healthy and active. Don’t get aroused with massive emotions if they can be avoided. Find God in the still small voice.
7. Use the Word – your one offensive weapon!
Joh 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.