My friend confessed to being moved at the end of Narnia. Well I confess to a tear of two watching ‘The Nativity’ on BBC TV. I loved the way it dealt with the reality of each character and how so many lives came together in one grubby stable in Israel. While the world slept, history was rent in 2. But I was most overcome because here was such a human story and yet it was the arrival of Immanuel, the ‘bridge between heaven and earth’ – it’s too big a thought!
Whenever I feel I have big thoughts, it turns out that God is always way, way, way bigger.
- I think I know how big the universe is – but it is WAY bigger than I think
- I think that I need a saviour – but my need is WAY bigger than I think.
- I think I understand why I am here at all – but the meaning is WAY bigger than I think.
- I think I know how to show love – but love is WAY bigger than I think it is.
- I think I know God – but God is WAY bigger than I think he is.
- I think I know what the future holds – but God has a much bigger plan than me.
Listen you who stand in awe of the cosmos, of life, and knowledge and beauty – is that as big as you can think? As you stand and look up at infinite galaxies on a night sky and marvel at the accident of life – is that as big as you can think?
You who have spent life in joy and in pain and have trod the path – is that as big as your thoughts go?
Can’t you, can’t I think bigger?
Bigger hopes, bigger loves, bigger meanings, bigger thanks – and bigger lives!